I found this bread recipe a long time ago and it has become a staple in my house most weekends. The whole family loves it and it’s a never fail recipe! It’s also super healthy, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and full of super grains like sunflower seeds, pepitas, flaxseeds and chia seeds.
However because we have it so often, it got quite expensive using all the gluten free, sugar free, dairy free alternatives. So over time I’ve modified the recipe myself to make it a bit more family budget friendly. I’ve included the original recipe from Supercharged Food below, with my alternative ingredients alongside, if you’re not too fussed about gluten free etc but still want a super tasty, super healthy loaf of bread to feed the family.
It’s really tasty and soft straight out of the oven, but can go a bit hard by the following day, which is when toasting it brings it back to life.
You can also check out the original recipe on the Supercharged Food Blog
- 350 g (2 1/3 cups) gluten-free self-raising flour or same amount of normal self-raising flour
- 30 g (1/4 cup) ground flaxseeds (I ground whole flaxseeds in my coffee grinder)
- 20 g (1/4 cup) chia seeds
- 115 g (3/4 cup) mixed sunflower seeds and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or same amount of almonds and walnuts chopped up
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 80 ml(21/2 fl oz/1/3 cup) tablespoons additive-free coconut milk or same amount of normal cows milk
- 6 drops stevia liquid or 3 tsp sugar
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (345°F/Gas 3–4) and grease and flour a 20 x 9 cm (8 x 31/2 inch) loaf (bar) tin.
- Combine the flour, flaxseed, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and salt in a bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs for about 2 minutes – they should be pale and fluffy.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar, butter, coconut milk, stevia and water. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.